Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Start of Something...

Using techology in the classroom... I'm nervous already.


I've never been the most tech-saavy person I know. I'm usually one of the last people to upgrade my technology. About a month ago, I bought a new cell phone. My old one was about six years outdated; the new one is only outdated by three years. Hurray, upgrade!


These newfangled phones you youngins use these days confuse me. I remember having to borrow my friend's iPhone to make a phone call not too long ago. That thing has so many pretty icons, but I couldn't figure out how to use the actual phone function. I find this very sad. And don't even get me started on my complete loathe of texting...


My favorite part of the first day of class was definitely the discussion about educational games that many of us remember from elementary school. I used to love to play The Oregon Trail and Number Munchers. At the time, it was very obvious to me how Number Munchers enhanced our curriculum: basically, you're a very hungry frog trapped on a game board that consists of thirty boxes. Within each of these boxes is a number. In each level, the top of the screen gives you a characteristic of all the numbers you need to eat in order to complete the level. Such characteristics include "prime number," "multiples of x" (as seen in the image to the left), or "equal to x" (if there are equations in each box.) All the while, you are trying to dodge these monsters who desire a number-munching froggie sandwich. The game was decently challenging for my third-grade self, and it made learning prime numbers fun.


Then there was the Oregon Trail. In elementary school, I wasn't really sure how this game was supposed to teach me anything. I mostly got giggles out of writing the names of my classmates as members of the wagon and watching to see which diseases would eventually kill them off. I always got frustrated because whenever my other friends would play the game and use my name in their wagon, I was always - by chance - the first one to die, usually of chlamydia. Maybe I need to get that checked out... When I was in college, I played this game once more for kicks, only instead of using the names of my friends, I used my least-favorite physics equations. I didn't try to kill them off that time, but all of the equations perished before reaching Oregon. I guess that means there is no physics in Oregon. Lucky.


Anyway, the point of that tangent is that Oregon Trail was fun, but I can't really say that I learned too much from it at the time. As an adult looking back, I can understand the thinking skills that it tries to impose upon children. It basically teaches them that there are consequences to every action and that there isn't always a "right" answer to every question.


Overall, I am looking forward to starting a class that focuses on using technology in the classroom. I feel, as somebody who is usually years behind current technology, that this is a class from which I will greatly benefit (assuming, of course, that my klutzy tendencies don't get in the way and cause me to damage said technology.)

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your assessment about the Oregon Trail. I also played it in school but all I remember what that there were 2 computers for about 25 kids and it was difficult to get a turn. When you got a turn, it was so short that you barely had time to figure out how to play, let alone learn anything from the game. I think games have a place in the classroom but it takes some finess to make sure their effective in teaching something to the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for an enjoyable post, Stephanie....you have a great way with a story. As your posting suggests, there are games and there are games, and it's interesting to think about the artistry involved in creating an engaging game that is also focused on specific content. I think it came up in class that, for many kids, calling a video game educational is the kiss of death. This, in turn, reminds me that we should be thinking broadly about games and the opportunities they offer our students to learn, or to show what they know or can do. I like the idea that games *could* be a way to connect with kids, and to get a sense of what they're good at, and how their minds work. As an English person, I'm betting that you'll find James Paul Gee's work/thinking to be of interest. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with your assessment of Oregon Trail and how you felt like you didn't actually learn anything from laying the game. The games that are educational are boring and no student would want to play them, yet if you want them to be invested you can't use a game that has only entertainment value. So, I guess it comes down to finding a balance between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post really had me laughing, Stephanie. You say that using technology in the classroom is making you nervous (in your title). I guess I should be really concerned, 'cause I don't think I'm as tech savvy as you are. I don't know that I would have been able to upload that picture of Number Munchers. Thanks for the laughs!
    Monte

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Stephanie! You learned with a COLOR monitor? (I had a TV set attached to my first Apple computer -- and no lower-case letters!) The real gift of 504 is that the course is spread out over a significant period of time. Summer is our mutual play time ... time to think and explore without hurrying to package an idea for class. Keep that skeptical eye -- it will be a great guide in helping you make instructionally valuable choices.

    PS - If you had Oregon Trail 1.0, as I did, might you have loved it, as I did? :) Tech novelty is a powerful motivator!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie,
    I feel like someone's grandmother when it comes to technology as well-I still can't text as well as I should. I love that you played Oregon Trail when you were in college-I want to go back and play Oregon Trail and Math Munchers now that we're teachers in training. Although, I don't think that I would need to replay Oregon Trail to realize that I didn't learn any history from playing it. I guess it was fun though.

    Looking forward to your next blog,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I have to admit that I never heard of Oregon Trail until last week. Can you say dinosaur? All I can say is we are in for a revolution of ideas and new ways of communication, and this tech class will help guide us into the new millennium. Yah, yah, I'm about 10 years late, but better than never.

    ReplyDelete